The brown onion (Allium cepa) is one of the most widely used crops on the planet. Evident in Bronze age settlements in China, buried with the dead in Egypt, the durability of onions both in storage and in transport meant they were one of the first crops planted by the Pilgrim Fathers in the New World.
So what is so valuable apart from their delicious flavour in so many dishes? Nutrient dense, but low in calories, onions are high in vitamin C, B vitamins and potassium. Packed with antioxidants, they show strong anti-bacterial properties, tackling pathogens like E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus cereus.
They contain cancer-fighting sulphur compounds; allicin to reduce risk of stomach, lung and colorectal cancer, onionin-A to help impair tumour development and prevent lung metastasis, and quercetin to reduce inflammation and help lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels.
So try this simple recipe and boost your immune system today!
Credit: Ceri, Zenxin Master Chef
Print the recipe: Simple Healing Onion Soup
Prep Time: 6 minutes
Cook Time: 26 minutes
Total time: 32 minutes
Servings: 6-8 people
- 20g Spanish organic extra virgin cold-pressed olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of organic Morado garlic
- 700g organic brown onions
- 2 tbsp organic vegetable stock with Himalayan rock salt
- 1 tsp kombu shiitake dashi powder
- ~2 litres filtered water
- 1 pkt organic Spring onions, washed and chopped
- Wash and cut the onions and quarter them.
- Measure out the olive oil into the Thermomix bowl.
- Peel the garlic and chop briefly using speed 10.
- Select temp. 98°C speed 1 and start to sauté the garlic for 2 mins.
- Add the onions and sauté for a further 8 mins.
- Add water to the 2 litre mark and continue to cook for another 16 mins.
- Add the vegetable stock and dashi and blend on speed 10 for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with stir-fried organic Spring onions.
- Adjust taste and enjoy 🙂